Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

You carry auto insurance to cover your liability when driving an automobile but what happens if you are involved in an accident where the person who hits you doesn’t have the same courtesy or doesn’t carry enough coverage to cover the cost of the accident?

If you have Uninsured Motorist coverage on your policy it covers you, insured members of your household and your passengers in an accident with a motorist who has no insurance or is underinsured. It also provides coverage if you’re hit by a hit-and-run driver and applies to you and the insured members of your household, even as pedestrians.

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage includes payment of medical costs, lost wages and pain and suffering. It is required in many states but is not a required coverage in Washington State. This coverage typically covers any difference between what the other at fault driver’s insurance covers and the costs of your bodily injuries, up to the limits of the policy.



Liability coverage, now this is a huge topic and one that I will have to tackle in several posts over the life of this blog..

To begin lets start by asking where does your liability stop?

  • When you are walking down the street?
  • When you get out of your car at the local shopping center?
  • How about if you are playing golf and accidentally hit somebody with your golf ball?
  • What if a tree from your property lands on your neighbors car?

Any thoughts? Well the answer is your liability never ends, it goes everywhere you go! However, that doesn’t mean that your homeowners policy will cover in all of those circumstances, your specific coverage will be detailed in your policy jacket.

Generally speaking, your liability portion of your homeowners policy will provide coverage for your liability up to the limit outlined on the declarations page in almost every circumstance except when your driving a vehicle and without a business endorsement it usually wont extend coverage to any business being conducted out of your home. Keep in mind that this is a general answer and doesn’t apply to all home owners insurance policies.

For more information regarding this coverage, feel free to schedule a review of your insurance policy by calling 888-568-HUNT (4868).