Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

You carry auto insurance to cover your liability when driving an automobile but what happens if you are involved in an accident where the person who hits you doesn’t have the same courtesy or doesn’t carry enough coverage to cover the cost of the accident?

If you have Uninsured Motorist coverage on your policy it covers you, insured members of your household and your passengers in an accident with a motorist who has no insurance or is underinsured. It also provides coverage if you’re hit by a hit-and-run driver and applies to you and the insured members of your household, even as pedestrians.

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage includes payment of medical costs, lost wages and pain and suffering. It is required in many states but is not a required coverage in Washington State. This coverage typically covers any difference between what the other at fault driver’s insurance covers and the costs of your bodily injuries, up to the limits of the policy.